480. Harold Macklin House (FY 1900)
1221 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1915
This one-and-a-half-story weatherboarded frame cottage retains a late Victorian form while exhibiting Colonial Revival detailing. It has a steep hip roof with multiple intersecting gables with cornice returns and a front porch with Tuscan columns.
Shown on the 1917 Sanborn Map, the house first appears in the city directories in 1916 as the residence of Jesse T. Carter (Elizabeth), manager of the rental department of Hurdle Loan and Insurance Company (See 478). From ca. 1920 through ca. 1925 Allen C. and Daisy Perry occupied the house, but in 1927 it was purchased by Harold and Irma Macklin for their residence. Harold Macklin was a prominent Winston-Salem architect who designed such buildings as the Spruce Street YMCA and the Glade St YWCA and assisted Ralph Adams Cram with the design of Street Paul’s Episcopal Church (111). The Macklin’s owned the house until 1943. (SM, CD, TR)
Garage, Noncontributing: At the end of the drive between this house and 1223 W. Fourth Street is a three-car rusticated block garage with a hip roof. It is shared with that house (481) and is of an undetermined date of construction. It has been altered and is dilapidated.