Join us for The West End Holiday Homes Tour on Sunday, December 11, 2016. Tours run from 1PM-5PM, starting from Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church, 520 Summit Street, Winston-Salem, NC (directions). Tickets are $15 in advance and are available for purchase at Whole Foods Market as well as 1502 Fabrics, or:
Pick up tickets day of the event for $18 at: Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church, starting at 1PM.
For Volunteer Opportunities and Homes Tour Contact:
- Toni Phillips (336-354-5052)
- Toni Phillips firstname.lastname@example.org
Featured Properties on the West End 2016 Holiday Homes Tour
Brock-Horn-Maslin House at 857 West Fifth Street, 1890’s. This late Victorian masterpiece is considered one of the fanciest Victorian dwellings in the West End. Adorned on the outside with wood shingled gables, sawn-work gable peak ornaments, a tower with a Palladian window above the entrance, and an ornate front porch with turned posts and balustrade, the interior of this home elegantly complements its façade,as a handsome open string stair with a ramped hand rail and spiral newel grace the foyer, while paneled and beaded board wainscot decorate the walls. As a point of interest, it is believed that the home’s original porch wrapped all the way around the west side of the house, but was eventually enclosed by the Maslin family in 1924. Read More
Prior to 1918, the home belonged to Robert and Pearl Horn (1903-1913), proprietors of the R.B. Horn Company, famous for its Southern Belle Chocolates. Ironically, the original owners of the home, the Brock Family (1895-1903), also started a candy company. The Brock Candy Company would eventually grow to be one of the country’s largest candy manufacturers before being purchased by Brach in 1994, and is most famous today for inventing the gummy bear, gummy worm and the modern day fruit snack.
Sweet sorrow: Company closing 108-year-old Chattanooga candy plant
Rosenbacher House at 848 West Fifth Street, 1909. Standing above a terraced lawn overlooking Fifth St, the Rosenbacher House is one of the grandest of the Neo-Classical Revival dwellings in Winston Salem. The large two-story weatherboarded house is dominated by a monumental two-story central portico with Corinthinan columns. Enhancing the Classical design of the façade are one-story curved porches with Ionic columns and turned balustrades. The leaded, beveled glass sidelights and fanlight transom turn simple lamp light into sparkling magic in the evenings.The interior of the house is as exceptional as the exterior with majestic sliding pocket doors, ornate Colonial Revival stairway, and priceless woodwork throughout. Read More
The current owners meticulously restored the home since its last use as a restaurant. Each feature including the arched pocket doors, the Ionic columns in the front hall, and the leaded windows has been restored in breathtaking detail. The upstairs has been handsomely renovated and serves as the office space for their company LMI Builders.
Today the Rosenbacher house is home to the coffee shop and bakery Tart Sweets. Well know for their French macarons and Southern poundcakes, the mother and daughter team operating Tart Sweets also offer catering, special orders and High Tea! The backyard provides a beautiful gathering space for large or small events with a firepit and hardscape.
Oscar P Schaub Home at 1211 Forsyth Street, 1912. The oldest house on Forsyth Street, this large two-story frame dwelling of simple Colonial Revival design is characterized by a steep pyramidal roof sheathed in tin shingles with side pedimented cross gables, a front pedimented dormer, and a wrap-around porch with Tuscan columns.
Originally listed in the 1913 city directory as the residence of DC Crutchfield, the home was named after Oscar Schaub, a prominent ear, nose and throat physician and surge on in the community. Oscar and his wife, Alice lived in the house from 1916 until the early 1930s, although tax records indicate it was actually owned by Burton Craige from 1919 to 1947. Read More
The current owners have spent the past two years returning the home to its original glory, which has included removing siding to expose the original historic details of the exterior, removing the additional kitchen on the front porch, restoring the tin tile roof with original matching tin salvaged from another home, repairing original wood floors and replacing the master bathroom floor using salvaged hardwoods, and renovating essentially from the foundation to the roof thanks to years of extensive termite damage.
A beautifully crafted staircase addition on the second floor, an inspiration of the home’s current owners, now leads into the attic area on the third floor, providing a cozy living space and lookout onto the street below. French doors in the kitchen, as well as beveled glass windows and original shutters now embellish the home with their original charm after being rescued from their burying place deep within in the garage. Custom milled cherry cabinets in the kitchen and salvaged street car era handmade bricks on the patio complete this beautifully restored home.
Thomas-Stultz House at 1211 West Fourth Street, circa 1915. The Thomas-Stultz House is a large but simple example of the Colonial Revival style so popular during the first quarter of the twentieth century. The two-story weatherboarded house has a hip roof, a shed dormer, interior chimneys, a handsome entrance with a glass panel door and leaded glass sidelights. A wrap around porch with Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade extends beyond the north side of the house to form a porte-cochere. Read More
The current owners completely renovated the home prior to moving into the home in 2015. While tradition was preserved in the front of the home, air, light, wood, and clean lines were brought into the rear of the house by removing the roof over the kitchen, replacing the back wall with glass sliding doors, and building a master suite above. The open kitchen, featuring a honed marble island and handmade cabinets, continues into the garden with a walk-out deck overlooking a giant Magnolia tree in the backyard. Upstairs, the master bedroom was converted into a large bathroom with an open shower, mother-of-pearl tile, and beautiful bocci accent lights. A new cozy master bedroom opens up to the treetops with a small balcony. A second upstairs bathroom was completely renovated with care taken to preserve the stunning stained glass windows. The upstairs sleeping porch has been fully climate controlled. A notable feature of this lovely home is the screened in side porch that offers a private and quiet respite.
Roberts-Lehman House at 1110 West End Boulevard, 1911. The Roberts-Lehman House is one of the most distinctive of the Dutch-Colonial Revival houses in the West End. It is a large one and a half story weatherboarded frame dwelling with a triple-gambrel roof. The front gambrel has diamond-muntined upper sash which match the diamond-muntined sidelights and transom of the glass and wood paneled front entrance. Read More
Current owners have restored the stone front steps, replaced much of the front porch and front stair railings, and finished the attic for effective storage. As you tour notice the unique built in oak cupboards in the mantle over the den fireplace, and the West End Association logo displayed prominently in the stained glass transom between the foyer and living room.This custom panel was made by the grand father of the previous owners, the Brian Efird family.
Mildred F. Bennett House at 125 Piedmont Avenue, circa 1906.This typical early twentieth century cottage is a one-story frame dwelling with a hipped and gabled roof, a right front projecting bay, a porch across two thirds of the facade with turned posts and sawnwork brackets. Late Victorian form and detailing of this home make it a positive contribution to the architectural character of the West End. The house is shown on the 1912 Sanborn Map, and local tradition claims it was built around 1906. Read More
Today, this house is being offered as a charming accommodation on Airbnb by the present owner who has lovingly removed false ceilings in the rear of the house and restored it to its original height, regained a stone wall in the rear yard, and added decorative touches to bring a modern, whimsical twist to this darling home.
Wyatt-Honeycutt House at 1215 Brookstown Avenue,1924. The house stands as a low-slung bungalow, complete with wood shingle siding, a low hipped roof with overhanging eaves, a gabled front dormer, and a porch with square posts on what appear to be replacement brick plinths. Enjoy your stroll up the terraced lawn with steps leading from the granite retaining wall at the sidewalk up to this totally renovated house. Read More
The beautiful mahogany front door gives a lovely introduction to woodwork finishes throughout the house. A custom kitchen invites you in but look for the tucked away reading nook as well as a custom murphy bed disguised by a wall of storage. The master bedroom boosts a wine cellar accessed by a secret stairwell in the master closet and is something you shouldn’t miss!
Quality Oil Company Building, Salem Smiles at 1063 West Northwest Boulevard, 1938. This notable façade at the corner of Reynolda and Northwest Boulevard was originally commissioned by West End residents Joe Glenn and his uncle Bert Bennett as a Shell Oil distributorship for their larger enterprise, Quality Oil Company. Purchased by Glenn and Bennett in 1930, the Quality Oil Company had grown to 175 employees by 1938 and was in need of a much larger space. Several features of the building were thought to be “one of a kind” at the time, including the “new style” hydraulic lift, a walk in vault complete with a built in safe, and most impressively, the largest tire warehouse in the state, which was capable of storing enough tires to outfit 375 automobiles. Read More
Joseph L. Graham House at 645 Summit Street, circa 1910. This two-story “half-timber” and stucco Tudor fronts multiple gables with overhanging eaves, 12-over-1 sash windows and a hip-roofed front porch with heavy square posts, and simple brackets. Emphasizing the simple and rustic aspects of the Tudor style, this house leans modestly toward country cottage more than many formal Tudors. Read More
2016 Holiday Homes Tour Presenting Sponsor
2016 Holiday Homes Tour Contributing Sponsors
2016 Holiday Homes Tour Sponsors
- DLM Builders
- Icon Custom Builders
- Kilpatrick Townsend
- LMI Builders
- Nelson Mullins
- Piedmont Federal Savings Bank