478. Hurdle-Slate House (FY 995)
1215 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1914
The form of this outstanding eclectic house reflects the Italian Renaissance Revival style, while the detailing suggests influences from both the Colonial Revival and Craftsman styles. The two-story tan brick veneer house is characterized by a symmetrical three-bay facade with a recessed central entrance bay and a hipped roof. Exterior detailing includes a handsome entrance with a glass and wood paneled door and leaded glass sidelights and transom (the transoms are repeated over the facade windows), a deck above the entrance with its own entrance, a front porch with heavy Tuscan colonettes set on brick plinths with a plain balustrade, and a matching north side porte-cochere. The interior is equally impressive with Colonial Revival and Craftsman mantels (including one in the center hall), a closed string stair with a newel light figure, a beaded board wainscot, sliding pocket doors, boxed beam ceilings, and a high wainscot in the dining room.
In 1915 and 1916 J.P. Hurdle was listed at this address in the city directory. He was president of Hurdle Loan and Insurance Company (The 1913 directory listed him at 1211, which may or may not have been the same house with a changed address.) In 1917 physician John S. Slate and his wife, Nonnie, a purchased the house, which was used as their residence and his