586. Butner-Austin House (FY 2000)
126 Crafton Street
Contributing, ca. 1923
Although the Butner-Austin House was sheathed with vinyl siding in recent years, its form and detail still present the picture of a classic bungalow of the 1920’s. The one-and-a-half-story frame dwelling is characterized by a broad gable roof with overhanging braced eaves, a front shed dormer, an off-center gable end chimney, four-over-one bungalow sash windows, and an offset front porch with a broad gable roof with braced eaves, tapered wood posts on brick plinths, and a plain balustrade.
Sarah L. Kallard who owned other investment property on Crafton Street (579), purchased this property in 1923 and apparently built the house for rental purposes, for the following year it was first listed in the city directory as the residence of Howard and Emma McClintock. Kallard (Kallam?) sold the house to R.G. Butner in 1929, and he and his wife lived here for several years and sold it to Luther P. and Carrie Austin in 1945. Since then it has been owned and occupied by the Austin family. (TR, CD)