513. William J. Paschal House (FY 1928)
1016 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1920
Like the Lott-Woodall House next door (512), the Paschal House adopts an unusual form to fit the odd shape of its lot. In most respects it appears to be a typical bungalow of its period. It is a one-and-a-half-story frame house with coursed wood shingle siding, a broad gable roof with overhanging braced eaves, a large front hipped dormer, and an engaged porch with heavy shingled end posts and a plain balustrade, Convention is dismissed on the south side of the house, however, where the back slope of the gable is “chopped off” and recessed toward the center of the house before continuing its downward slope, and is then recessed again, creating a rather modern effect. The house is complemented by the stone retaining wall at the sidewalk and by the double flight of front steps.
Although William J. Paschal, manager of the Southern Mirror Company, acquired the property in 1916, he and his wife, Stella, were not listed at this location in the city directories until 1921. The Paschal’s owned the house until 1943. (TR, CD)