351. Moses-Hanes-Craige House (FY 1794)
1066 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1910
This stately Colonial Revival house had a series of early occupants and by 1955 had been converted to apartments. It is a two-story frame structure with weatherboard siding, a hip roof with overhanging enclosed eaves, sixteen-over-one windows, and a front entrance with leaded and beveled glass sidelights and transom and a Classical surround. Of particular note are the triangular and segmental-arched pedimented dormers in typical Georgian fashion and the wrap-around porch with grouped Tuscan columns, plain balustrade, and pedimented entrance bay which continues the modillioned cornice of the porch roof, The aluminum siding which was added in recent years has detracted little from the overall visual integrity of the house.
Lillian C. Moses purchased the property in 1909, and by 1911 she and her husband, Alex F. were listed at this location in the city directory. He was president of the Manynard-Crutchfield Company (plumbers) and the WS Pepsi Cola Bottling Company By 1912 P. Huber and Evelyn Hanes were listed here and occupied the house until their large dwelling at the junction of Glade and Clover Streets was built ca. 1915 (336). After they moved, attorney Burton Craige occupied the house until the early 1920’s. (TR, CD, SH)