336. P. Huber Hanes House (FY 981)
1200 Glade Street
Contributing, ca. 1915
Both historically and physically, the former Hanes property is of pivotal significance to the West End. Erected ca. 1915, the house was originally the residence of P. Huber and Evelyn Hanes from 1916 until they moved to a new house on Georgia Avenue in 1930. Huber Hanes (1880-1967) joined with his father, Pleasant Henderson, and his brother, William M., in the formation of Hanes Knitting Company in 1902, He served as secretary-treasurer until 1917 when he became vice-president and treasurer, and in 1925 he became president and general manager following the death of his father. Hanes was president of the Underwear Institute and regional vice-president of the National Association of Manufacturers. He was on the board of Duke University and, locally, he was instrumental in bringing Wake Forest College to Winston-Salem and in the early restoration efforts at Old Salem. He was an officer of the West End Development Company and was involved in the creation of Hanes Park (#276) at the western edge of the West End. After the Hanes’ occupancy, the house remained a residence until 1955. From 1955 to 1970 it was used as the Wall Funeral Home, and from 1970 to 1985 it served as the Child Guidance Clinic. It is now part of the Petree Stockton law firm complex (see also #363, 364, 365).
The Hanes House occupies a central location in the West End, on part of the hilltop site of the Hotel Zinzendorf. The changing topography of the site is accommodated through the use of stone retaining walls, a terraced lawn, and flights of steps – features which are predominant in the Glade Street landscape and are found frequently throughout the West End. The large two-story stuccoed house is an adaptation of the Tudor Revival style and is characterized by a steep truncated hip roof with front and side bracketed gables, grouped nine-over-one sash windows, a string course between floors, tall exterior chimneys, and a one-story porte-cochere at the front entrance with heavy stuccoed corner posts, a bracketed roof and a parapeted deck. Exterior changes include the enclosure of the NE side porch and the addition on the SW side of a one-story gable-fronted chapel with stuccoed walls connected by a hyphen (an extension of the original side porch) to the house. These changes occurred when the house was converted to a funeral home in the 1950’s. Although the chapel is a major addition, its placement was designed to interfere as little as possible with the original house and consequently does not destroy its architectural integrity.
The generously proportioned interior features a center hall plan with consistently-designed Colonial Revival details, including a stair with a spiral newel, paneled doors, molded chair rails, a paneled wainscot in the large parlor, delicated mantels, and arched corner niches. (D, CD, HF, BHNC)
Garage/apartment, Noncontributing:Behind the house stands a large one-and-a-half-story stuccoed structure with a steep gable roof and hipped dormers, which may have been built post 1930 although it is nicely coordinated with the house. It was used as a multi-vehicle garage by the Wall Funeral Home.