300 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1924
The Efird House is a simple but stately two-story frame Colonial Revival house with a gable roof, weatherboard siding, paired sash windows, and a north side porch with slender Tuscan columns. The paneled entrance with sidelights and broad fanlight transom is sheltered by a pedimented Classical porch with Tuscan columns and a vaulted ceiling. The house has a stone retaining wall and steep stone steps to the terraced yard.
Oscar Efird, an attorney and judge, and his wife, Frances, purchased the property in 1922 and were first listed in the city directory at this location in 1925. The Efirds owned the house until 1974. (TR, CD, SH)
Behind the house is a contributing two-car brick garage with a steep gable roof which appears to have been built soon after the house.