Later, Augsburg Community Center
502 N. Broad Street
In December, 1925 the Trustees of the Winston-Salem Monthly Meeting of Friends, a congregation which had been established in 1912, purchased property at the SW corner of Broad and Sixth Streets. The meeting house was built in 1927 according to plans by prominent Winston-Salem architects Northup and O’Brien.
It is a stately Federal Revival style building with unusually refined detailing. The long rectangular red brick block with low hip roof is graced with brick corner quoins, large round-arched sash windows lining each side, and a facade dominated by a tetrastyle portico with heroic Tuscan columns and a full Classical entablature with a modillion-lined pediment. Typical of Federal style churches, the three bays formed by the columns enframe three sets of handsome double-leaf, paneled entrances with Classical surrounds and fanlight transoms. Balcony-level sash windows are positioned above the three doorways. Set on a raised basement, the meeting house is rendered more monumental by the two-tiered flight of steps leading from the sidewalk to the front entrance level.
The two-aisle interior features simple Classical details. In 1958-1959 a compatible two-story brick education wing with a hip roof and sash windows was added to the rear, according to the sensitive designs of local architects Wallace and Wallace. On the south and west sides of the church are grassy lawns and a small, well-kept playground. (HFM)