609-611 N. Broad Street
Contributing, ca. 1924
This four-square Craftsman duplex is similar to several others built in the West End during the 1920’s. It has a truncated pyramidal roof with a front hipped dormer, asbestos shingle and wood shingle (on the second story) siding, and two front gabled entrance porches (one recently enclosed). The house is complemented by a handsome stone retaining wall and stone front walk steps.
From 1910 to 1976 the land on which the duplex stands was owned by Dr. William J. Conrad, a dentist who lived at 620 Spring Street, and by his heirs.
The first city directory listing for the duplex was in 1925, when Rev. Lawson Campbell, pastor of Pfafftown Christian Church lived at 609 N. Broad Street. Campell (born Mar. 11, 1879 in Australia / died April 9, 1930 Forsyth County) is buried in the Pfafftown Christian Church Cemetery).
James A. Roscoe, a tailor at Norman Stockton’s, lived at 611. (TR, CD)
Behind the house stands a noncontributing 1980’s cinderblock artist’s studio with an attached open shed.