584. Neely-Reavis House (FY 1998)
122 Crafton Street
Contributing, 1921

 
The Neely-Reavis House is characteristic of many of the simple Craftsman-influenced houses built in the 1910’s and 1920’s. The two-story frame dwelling has a low hip roof with widely overhanging enclosed eaves, a hipped dormer with battered sides, grouped six-over-one and ten-over-one sash windows, a south side one-story wing, and an entrance with a pedimented, braced hood, Although the house was sheathed with vinyl siding in recent years, this has not significantly altered its overall character.

 

Julius D. Neely purchased the property in 1921 and by 1922 he and his wife, Algiers, were listed at this address in the city directory. Neely was a clerk at RJR Tobacco Company He sold the house in 1929. In 1943 Thomas J. Reavis, a policeman, and his wife, Addie, purchased the house for their residence. They retained ownership until 1962. (TR, CD)