580. Charles K. Bowland House (FY 1994)
114 Crafton Street
Contributing, ca. 1921
The Bowland House is a handsome Craftsman style dwelling unlike others in the West End. It is a one-and-a-half-story weatherboarded frame house with a front-facing gable roof with widely overhanging braced eaves and a plain bargeboard, matching (though smaller) side cross gables, nine-over-one and six-over-one sash windows, and bay windows on the upper story of the facade and on the right side of the house. The shed-roofed entrance porch has square posts on a weatherboarded balustrade and shelters a Craftsman front door. On the south side of the house is a terrace over what appears to have been originally a garage.
Charles K. Bowland, a traveling salesman, purchased the property in 1919, and by 1922 he and his wife, Ruthie, were listed at this address in the city directory. The Bowlands occupied the house into the 1930’s, after which it became rental property. (TR, CD)