556. Ernest R. Martin House (FY 1971)
119 S. Sunset Drive
Contributing, 1916

 
This simple, neat bungalow is typical of many built in the 1910’s and 1920’s. It is a one-and-a-half-story frame house with a broad gable roof with overhanging eaves, a front shed dormer, interior end chimneys, paired six-over-one sash windows, and a front porch with square wood posts on brick plinths and a plain balustrade. In recent years the house was sheathed with aluminum siding, but this has had little adverse effect on its overall integrity. A low stone retaining wall borders the front yard.

 

E.R. and Katherine Martin purchased the property in 1916, and the Sanborn Maps illustrate the house in 1917. From 1918 through the early 1920’s the Martins occupied the house, but in 1928 they moved next door (555). They continued to own this house, however, until selling it to John and Lillian Reich in 1945. For many years thereafter the house was used as rental property. (TR, SM, CD)