539. William E. Hege House (FY 1954)
1152 West End Boulevard
The Hege House is a simple late Colonial Revival cottage characterized by a gable roof with cornice returns, an off-center gable end chimney, a right front projecting wing, eight-over-one and six-over-one sash bungalow style windows, and a two-bay front porch with Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade. Although the house is simple and has been sheathed in recent years with vinyl siding, it still displays the definite marks of its 1920’s construction date.
William E. Hege, a traveling salesman for Crawford Hill Supply, purchased this property in 1923, and the following year he and his wife, Essie, were listed at this location in the city directory. Somewhat unusual for the West End, the house remains in the ownership and occupancy of its original family. (TR, CD)
Garage, Noncontributing:On the west side of the house is an unusual two-car concrete garage with a steep gable roof housing a room. Probably constructed after 1930, it is built into the hillside.