538. Martin-Cohen House (FY 1953)
1146 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1921
This two-story weatherboarded frame house is a strongly simple Colonial Revival dwelling. It is characterized by a narrow three-bay facade, a steep gable roof with front and rear cornices but no overhanging eaves on the sides, an off-center exterior end chimney, nine-over-nine sash windows, a slightly projecting front bay window, a six-panel entrance with transom and pedimented hood, and a southeast side porch with square Tuscan posts and a plain balustrade. In keeping with most of the other houses on the street, there are stone front yard steps and a stone retaining wall.
Sanford Martin, editor and general manager of the Winston-Salem Journal, purchased the property in 1916, and in 1922 he and his wife, Ava, were first listed in the city directory at this location. Martin is believed to have previously lived nearby (435). In 1929 Martin sold the house to J. K. Spencer, but in 1932 Spencer sold it to Minnie B. Cohen. The following year she and her husband, Harry L., were listed in the city directory at this location, and the Cohen family remained owner-occupants until 1976. (TR, CD)
Garage, Noncontributing: Behind the house is a one car concrete garage with a pyramidal roof which was probably built after 1930.