537. Raymond G. Parker House (FY 1952)
1142 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1921
The Parker House is a handsome one-and-a-half-story frame bungalow with a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled upper story, a broad gable roof with widely overhanging braced eaves, a Craftsman front door with sidelights and transom, and large flanking windows. Like several other bungalows in the West End, the Parker House makes dramatic use of granite, in this case for interior chimneys, front porch/terrace posts, balustrade and steps, and, more typically, for the front yard retaining wall, and winding front yard steps.
Raymond G. Parker, who was secretary of Peppers Warehouse as well as an attorney, purchased the property in 1919, but it was not until the 1922 city directory that he and his wife, Sallie, were listed at this location in the city directory. The Parkers owned the house until 1945, but by 1935 were using it as rental property. (TR, CD)