536. William H. Barnhardt House (FY 1951)
1136-1138 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1925
This large but austerely simple Colonial Revival house is a two-story weatherboarded frame dwelling with a three-bay central block and shallow wings which project from either side of the house toward the rear. The house features a low hip roof with widely overhanging enclosed eaves, nine-over-one sash windows, a small entrance porch with Tuscan columns, and a wrap-around brick terrace. Responding to the typical West End terrain, there is a high stone retaining wall around the front yard and steep front yard steps.
H.L. Barnhardt, a foreman at the Bahnson Company, and his wife, Pearl, purchased the property in 1922 and by 1926 were listed at this location in the city directory. In 1960 Mrs. Barnhardt, then a widow, was still living in house, which she sold in 1965. (TR, CD)
Garage/storage building, Noncontributing:Behind the house is a one-car concrete garage/storage building with a flat roof. It was probably built after 1930.