525. Bost-Dunnagan House (FY 1940)
1033 West End Boulevard
The Bost-Dunnagan House is another example of a simple Colonial Revival dwelling of the 1910’s. The two-story frame house has a hip roof, a contrasting front gabled dormer, nine-over-one sash windows, an entrance with sidelights and transom, and a wrap-around porch with paneled Tuscan posts and a plain balustrade. Like many of the houses of the period, this one has a large front window with a diamond-muntined transom. Around mid-century the house was sheathed with asbestos shingles, but this has not destroyed its overall architectural character.
Elizabeth Bost purchased the property in 1914, and in 1916 she and her husband, Nat, were listed in the city directory at this location. The Bost’s occupied the house until the early 1920’s, but retained ownership until 1937. In 1944 John L. Dunnagan bought the house, and he and his family lived here until selling it in 1968. (TR, CD, SH)