524. William C. Huband House (FY 1939)
1029 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1915
The Huband House is typical of many of the simple but stately Colonial Revival dwellings built in the West End during the 1910’s. It is a two-story weatherboarded frame house with a pyramidal and hip roof with overhanging enclosed eaves and a wide frieze board, a hipped front dormer, a striking oval glass entrance with oval glass sidelights, and a wrap-around porch with paneled Tuscan posts and a plain balustrade.
William C. Huband, a bookkeeper for Salem Iron Works, acquired the property in 1910, but it was 1916 before the city directories listed him and his wife, Mary Elizabeth, at this location. They occupied the house until the 1960’s, selling it in 1968. (TR, CD, SM)