519. Philip T. Hay House (FY 1934)
1040 West End Boulevard
This large one-and-a-half-story bungalow is one of the most handsome in this section of the West End, largely because of its generous use of granite for the gable end chimney and the front porch plinths, balustrade-foundation, and dramatically curved front steps. Other features of the one-and-a-half-.story weatherboarded house include a broad gable roof with over hanging braced eaves, a large shed dormer across the front, fancy bungalow style facade windows, paneled and tapered porch posts, and a projecting porch entrance bay. The house is attractively sited on a large corner wooded lot with a low stone retaining wall and stone-lined steps.
Philip T. Hay, an engineer with Norfolk and Western Railroad, purchased the property in 1911, and in 1912 he was listed along with his Mary, at “h. W. End Boulevard” in the city directory. The Hays continued to occupy the house until Mrs. Hay sold it in 1951. (TR, CD, SM)
Garage, Contributing: Behind the house and facing Jarvis Street is a board-and-batten garage with a gable roof which appears to be contemporary with the house.