518. Culler House (FY 1933)
1036 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1912
The Culler House is a late Victorian-Colonial Revival cottage typical of several built in the early twentieth century in the West End. The one-story weatherboarded d1qelling has a steep hip roof with .right front and left side intersecting gables with simple bargeboards, ten-over-one and twelve-over-one sash windows on the facade, a glass and wood paneled front door, and a porch with Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade.
The 1916 city directory lists Mrs. M. E. Culler at this location, but as early as 1913 the directory listed Mrs. Nary E. Culler (widow of Aaron H.), Ada N. Culler, and Lorrine Culler at “h. Boulevard nr. Shallowford.” In 1923 Carroll E. Sharp purchased the house but lived there only a few years. Since 1943 the house has been owned by the Mendenhall family but has been used as a rental property. (CD, TR)