508. Henry B. Pulliam House (FY 1923)
162 Piedmont Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1921
This one-and-a-half-story frame bungalow bears many typical features of its house type. Among these are a broad gable roof with widely overhanging braced eaves, a right front cross gable and a small gabled dormer — both treated like the main roof, four-over-one sash bungalow style windows, and an engaged porch– which extends beyond the east end of the house — with tapered wood posts on formstone covered plinths and a plain balustrade. Since mid-century the house has been unsympathetically covered with aluminum siding and formstone, and yet, even with these uncomplimentary surface changes, the original basic form and detailing are still clearly evident.
Henry B. Pulliam, secretary of the Orinoco Supply Company, purchased the property in 1915, but was not listed at this location in the city directories until 1922. After his death, his widow, Kate, continued to occupy the house until selling it around 1960. (TR, CD, SH)