507. Wall House (FY 1922)
158 Piedmont Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1917
The Wall House is a basic Colonial Revival house type found several times in the West End. The nearly square two-story weatherboarded dwelling has a steep hip roof with a large hip-roofed front dormer, a central entrance with sidelights and transom, and a hip-roofed front porch with Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade. After mid-century, a wood stair to the second story was added to the west side of the house, but this has had little effect on the overall integrity of the house.
The house appears on the 1917 Sanborn Map, and the following year the city directory listed Lee B. Wall, a contractor, and his wife, Louise, at this location. The first tax listing was in 1921 with Eva Wall, the assistant city treasurer. The Wall family occupied the house until at least the 1930’s, and Eva Wall retained ownership until 1942. (SH, CD, TR)