497. Freedle House (FY 1913)
155 Piedmont Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1917
The Freedle House is a simple but solidly built one-and-a-half-story brick bungalow. Its features include a steep gable roof with widely overhanging eaves, a wood shingled shed dormer, interior end chimneys, grouped windows, and an engaged porch with heavy brick posts and a plain balustrade. Of particular interest are the large basement windows in the porch foundation, a detail found in several other houses in the West End.
The house appears on the 1917 Sanborn Insurance Map, but its early history is obscure. The first tax listing was in 1926, with Anna Williams Leak, but she never occupied the house. The first known owner-occupants were Hollis and Earsley Freedle, who owned the house from 1937 to 1945. Subsequently there were numerous other owners and occupants. The longest ownership and occupancy appears to have been by Carl E. and Claudia J. Vaughn, from 1953 to 1966. (S f, TR, CD)