493. L. Kerr Scott House (FY 493)
139 Piedmont Avenue
The Scott House is one of the most outstanding bungalows in the West End. The one-story frame house has well-developed detailing, including coursed wood shingle siding; a gabled roof with overhanging eaves, plain bargeboards, and sawnwork supports; pedimented, crossetted, and battered door and window surrounds; and a porch with tapered wood posts which extends beyond the southeast end of the house. One of the most striking features of the house is its use of granite for the southeast side chimney, the porch post plinths and balustrade, the front steps, and the retaining wall by the street.
William Kerr and Gertrude Scott purchased the property in October, 1920 and the following year were listed at this location in the city directory for the first time. Kerr Scott was a bookkeeper at RJR Tobacco Company The Scott’s remained owner-occupants until 1963. (TR, CD)