1211 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1915
The Thomas-Stultz House is a large but simple example of the Colonial Revival style so popular during the first quarter of the twentieth century. The two-story weatherboarded house has a hip roof, a shed dormer, interior chimneys, a handsome entrance with a glass panel door and leaded glass sidelights and transom, and a wrap-around porch with Tuscan columns and a plain balustrade which extends beyond the north side of the house to form a porte-cochere.
The house was listed in the city directories for the first time in 1915 as the residence of J. R. Thomas, a coal, wood, and ice dealer, and his wife Lula. They were still at this location in 1918, but in 1923 Henry J. and Myrtle D. Stultz purchased the property for their residence. Stultz was a foreman at RJR Tobacco Company. After Henry’s death ca. 1944, Myrtle continued to own and occupy the house until 1951. (CD, TR, SH)
At the rear of the lot is a non-contributing two-car brick garage with a shed roof which was probably built after 1930.
The Thomas-Stultz was featured on the West End Association’s 2016 Homes Tour.