476. Gaither G. Tucker House (FY 1897)
1203 W. Fourth Street
The Tucker House is a well-preserved two-story frame dwelling of simple Craftsman style influence. It is characterized by a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled second story, a bellcast hip roof with widely overhanging eaves and exposed, shaped rafter ends, a front shed dormer, paired windows, and a front porch with paneled posts and a plain balustrade which extends beyond the north side of the house to form a porte-cochere. The south end of the porch which originally wrapped around the corner, was sensitively enclosed at an undetermined date, a common alteration to many houses with wrap-around porches.
Traveling salesman Gaither G. Tucker and his wife, Cora, purchased the property in 1914, and were listed at this location in the 1915 city directory. The Tuckers occupied the house at least until 1960, and sold it in 1964. (TR, CD, SH)