463. George F. Jenkins House (FY 1884)
1244-1246 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1920’s
This house may be either a 1920’s rebuilding or an enlargement of half-story dwelling shown on the 1917 Sanborn Map.It is a large two-story frame structure with a gable roof, overhanging eaves with nice Craftsman braces, nine-over-one sash windows, and a double tier front porch where the first story has paneled Classical posts and a plain balustrade and the second story has shingled posts and balustrade. Of particular interest is the lower level rear porch which has paneled posts and plain balustrade like the main porch. The house was sheathed with asbestos shingles during mid-century, but it still retains many interesting features which contribute to the architectural character of the West End.
The property was owned by George F. Jenkins, a traveling salesman, and his family from 1916 to 1977. Eva Jenkins, George’s widow continued to live in the house until at least 1960. (TR, CD, SM)