460. James R. Bolling House (FY 1230)
1230 W. Fourth Street
The Bolling House is characteristic of many of the houses built in the West End during the 1910’s and 1920’s. Exhibiting a combination of Colonial Revival and Craftsman influences, it a two-story weatherboarded house with a bellcast hip roof with widely overhanging bracketed eaves, a hip-roofed and wood-shingled dormer, paired nine-over-one sash windows, and a porch with paneled wood posts set on brick plinths with a plain balustrade. On the south side is a sun room.
In 1919 J. R. Bolling, agent for Harley-Davidson motorcycles, purchased this property, and in 1921 he and his wife, Artie G., were listed at this address in the city directory. Artie and her two subsequent husbands continued to live in the house until at least 1950, and she sold the property to the present owner in 1961. (TR, CD)
Garage, Contributing: NE of the house is a two-car stuccoed garage with a pyramidal roof which appears to be contemporary with the house.
Outbuilding, Contributing: Southeast of the house is a small weatherboarded building, probably used originally as a servant’s house, with a gable roof, a boxed cornice with cornice returns, and an interior chimney, which appears to be contemporary with the house.