453. Fulton House-Hinkle Apartments (FY 1874)
1188 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1915
This is a large two-story frame house of simple Craftsman style influence typical of many built in the 1910’s and 1920’s, including some in the West End. It is characterized by a low hip roof with widely overhanging eaves and shaped rafter ends, a front hipped dormer, large twelve-over-one sash windows, a broad central entrance with diamond-muntined sidelights and transom, and front and south side shed -roofed porches with tapered paneled posts on brick plinths and a plain balustrade. The porches are connected by a corner terrace. The recently added vinyl siding does minimum damage to the integrity of the house.
The property was first listed for taxes by Thomas P. and Nannie Fulton in 1914, and in 1916 they were listed in the city directory at this location. Fulton was secretary-treasurer of the J. G. Fulton Tobacco Company The Fulton’s occupied the house through the 1920’s. In 1934 D. R., T. C., and Rebecca B. Hinkle, who lived next door, purchased the property, and by 1940 it had begun its many years as the Hinkle Apartments. (SH, TR, CD)
Servant’s house, Contributing: NE of the house stands a small weatherboarded frame servant’s house with a gable roof, chimney, and front shed porch. It appears to pre-date 1930.
Garage, Contributing: Southeast of the house is a four-bay brick garage with a shed roof which appears to pre-date 1930.