448. Poole-Kiser House (FY 1870)
1404 W. First Street
Contributing, ca. 1927
The Poole-Kiser House is one of several 1920’s “Dutch” Colonial Revival houses in the West End. It is s one-and-a-half-story brick veneer dwelling with a steep gambrel roof, full-length shed dormers across front and rear, a pedimented entrance porch with a barrel-vaulted ceiling and slender Tuscan columns, and an east side one-story sun room.
Raymond A. and Maude Poole purchased the property in 1923, but neither they nor others were listed in the city directories at this location until 1928. The Pooles sold the house in 1946, and from 1949 until 1984 the house was owned and occupied by Nary Kiser, a teacher at Gray High School. (TR, CD)
Garage, Contributing: Behind the house is a one-car brick garage with a gable roof which appears to have been built at the same time or shortly after the house.