439. Miller-Brookbank House (FY 1861)
1316 W. First Street
Contributing, ca. 1923
While the detailing differs, the form of this one-story house is identical to 1322 W. First Street (440). The handsome pebbledash bungalow has wood shingled gables, a small shingled front dormer, grouped bungalow windows, Craftsman doors, and a semi engaged corner porch with square posts. Southeast of the house stands a cinderblock garage that is shared with 1300-1306 First Street.
Edward and Bertha Miller purchased the property in 1922 and by 1924 were listed in the city directory at this location. By 1950, however, they were renting the house to William and Mary Brookbank (he was a parking lot attendant at Colonial Stores) and John and Mary Brookbank (he was a bellman at the Robert E. Lee Hotel). John and mary Brookbank purchased the house in 1955 and owned it until 1979. (TR, CD)