433. Duplex (FY 1024)
1216-1218 W. First Street
Contributing, ca. 1914
This distinctive duplex is a large one-and-a-half-story structure of symmetrical, eclectic design. It has a pebbledash first story, a wood shingled upper story, a truncated hip roof with multiple shed dormers, and a pair of corner porches with “half-timbered” clipped gables, clustered Tuscan colonettes on stone plinths, and plain balustrades. A stone retaining wall borders the front yard.
Real estate entrepreneur P. Oscar Leak (318) purchased the property in 1913 and the duplex was depicted on the 1917 Sanborn Map. Leak sold the duplex in 1929, and since then there have been several owners. (TR, SH)
Garage, Contributing: Behind the duplex is a small two-car brick duplex with a pyramidal roof which appears to pre-date 1930. A frame shed is attached to the west side of the garage.