430. Smith House (FY 1854)
1223 W. First Street
Contributing, ca. 1915
This delightful one-and-a-half-story frame cottage is similar to the house at 906 Carolina Avenue (251). It is sheathed entirely in coursed wood shingles and is dominated by a steep front gable with shed dormers running the length of each side, giving the house almost two full stories. Other features include nine-over-one sash windows, a slightly projecting upper story bay window with a modillioned hood, and a front porch with paneled posts and flower boxes instead of a balustrade.
Sanborn Maps show that the house was built between 1912 and 1917, but there is not a clear listing in the city directories for this location until 1928, when this was the residence of H. E. Fulton. Occupancy changed frequently, probably on a rental basis, until Davilla G. Smith, widow of Jeff Smith, purchased the house in 1944. It is still owned and occupied by her family. (SM, CD, TR)
Garage, Noncontributing:At the rear of the driveway between this house and 1229 W. First Street (#431) is a two-car brick garage with a room above and a gable roof. Probably built after 1930, it is shared with 1229 W. First Street.