414. Ernest H. Fulton House (FY 1841)
116 N. Sunset Drive
Contributing, ca. 1921
The Fulton House is a well-preserved bungalow typical of many built in the West End during the late 1910’s and 1920’s. It is a one-and-a-half-story frame house with a weatherboard first story, a coursed wood shingle second story, a broad gable roof with overhanging braced eaves, a front shed dormer, paired windows, an off-center end chimney with a stepped half shoulder, and an engaged front porch with unusual wood shingled posts and a plain balustrade.
The house was first listed in the 1921 city directory as the residence of Robah Haislip, an auto salesman. The first tax listing, however, was not until 1927, when the house was listed by Ernest H. Fulton, an employee of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company He and his wife, Mabel, were first listed at this location in the 1928 directory, and the house remained their family residence until 1964. (CD, TR)
Behind the house is a frame garage share with 120 N. Sunset Drive (see #413).