413. House (FY 1840)
120 N. Sunset Drive
Contributing, ca. 1923
This foursquare house is typical of many built in the 1910’s and 1920’s, and like so many of the houses of the period in the West End, it reflects the influence of the Craftsman style. The two-story house is characterized by a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled second story, a low hip roof with widely overhanging enclosed eaves and matching front dormer, paired nine-over-one sash windows, and a hip-roofed front porch with grouped Tuscan posts set on brick plinths.
City directories and tax records reveal that the house has been used almost exclusively as rental property. The first occupant recorded in the directories was Benjamin D. Morton in 1923. (CD, TR)
Garage, Noncontributing:Behind the house, between it and 116 N. Sunset Drive, is a two-car frame garage shared by the two houses. It has a gable roof, German siding, and was probably built after 1930.