386. Snider-Nelson House (FY 1815)
930 West End Boulevard ca. 1927
With its two porches, the Snider-Nelson House seems to face both West End Boulevard and First Street It is a simple two-story frame Colonial Revival dwelling with a gable roof with a boxed cornice and cornice returns, paired six-over-one-sash windows, and corner porches with slender Tuscan posts and plain balustrades. The West End Boulevard porch has a pedimented gable, while the First Street porch has a hip roof. Winding stone steps lead from the sidewalk to the pair of porches. The house was sheathed with aluminum siding in recent years, but this alteration has had little effect on its overall architectural integrity.
J. B. Snider, an engineer for Southern Railway, and/or his wife, Mamie, owned the property from 1926 to 1954 and lived here for most of those years. Since 1957 the house has been owned and occupied by the Manley M. Nelson family. (TR, CD)