374. Glenn-Angelo-Walker House (FY 1805)
800 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1913
This handsome house is typical of many built during the period in the West End which reflect a combination of Colonial Revival and Craftsman style influences. The two-story dwelling has a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled second story, a low hip roof with overhanging eaves and matching front dormer, Craftsman style doors and windows, and a wrap-around porch with chamfered posts on paneled bases with simple brackets and a plain balustrade. Like so many West End houses, this one stands on a hill with a terraced front lawn with stone-lined steps and a stone retaining wall.
The 1912 Sanborn Map shows a foundation at this site, and the house is shown on the next map in 1917. John w. and Daisy Glenn occupied the house in the mid-1920’s, and from ca. 1930 to 1936 it was the residence of the E. J, Angelo family, who operated a grocery on Burke Street. Della Johnson Walker, widow of Pierre, purchased the house in 1942. She lived here and retained ownership until 1973. (SH, TR, CD)
Servant’s house, Contributing: Behind the house is a hip-roofed and weatherboarded former servant’s house with a stuccoed addition. It appears contemporary with the house.