373. Stockton-Tatum House (FY 976)
1149 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1917
Designed by prominent local architect c. Gilbert Humphreys, the Stockton-Tatum House is one of the most nicely detailed Colonial Revival dwellings in the West End. The two-story house has a stuccoed first story, a coursed wood shingle second story, a gambrel roof interrupted by bay windows, overhanging bracketed eaves, decorative banded brick chimneys, and a south side sun porch. The front entrance porch is particularly nice with its Roman Doric columns, pedimented cornice, built-in high back side benches, and doorway with sidelights and Classical surround.
Norman v. Stockton, secretary of the Mock-Bagby-Stockton Company (men’s furnishings), purchased the property in 1917, and the following year he and his wife, Emery, were listed at this location in the city directory. The Stocktons resided here until moving to a larger house on Kent Rd. in 1930, but continued to own the property until 1944. From 1946 to 1977 the house was owned and occupied by Mary Tatum, widow of Clarence W. Tatum. (SM, TR, CD)