1123 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, circa 1894, remodeled 1920
The Vaughn-Fletcher House is a good example of a prominent early West End house which was updated during a later period to give it a renewed air of prominence. The irregular massing of the large two-story Queen Anne house with polygonal corner bay and wrap-around porch provides evidence of its ca. 1894 construction date, while the stuccoed walls, multiple French doors, and Craftsman porch details (including tapered wood posts on brick plinths connected by a solid brick balustrade), reflect the ca. 1920 remodeling. One of the most interesting features of the house is the entrance with its French door, sidelights, and fanlight transom, recessed behind the pedimented center bay of the porch and further defined by a segmental-arched hood supported by huge scrolled brackets.
Joseph B. Vaughn, of Vaughn, Crutchfield & Company, wholesale grocers, was the original owner, and his family occupied the house until selling it to Joseph R. Fletcher in 1919. Fletcher, an employee of Fletcher Brothers Clothing, had previously resided across the street at 1124 W. Fourth Street (361). This house remained in Fletcher occupancy until mid-century, and Katherine B. Fletcher (or her heirs) retained ownership until 1962. (CD, TR, SM)
Behind the house is a rusticated concrete block garage with a hip roof which was probably built after 1930 (noncontributing).