369. Edwin L. Jones House (FY 970)
1117 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1904
The Jones House is typical of many of the transitional late Victorian-Colonial Revival dwellings built in the West End during the early years of this century. It is a two-story frame house with a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled second story, a central pyramidal roof with intersecting front and side shingled gabled with oval or round-arched windows, a slightly projecting right front bay, and a front porch with Roman Doric columns, a plain balustrade, and a pedimented entrance bay with a balustraded upper deck. In recent years the porch was extended on the NE side to form a porte-cochere, but this has had little effect on the architectural significance of the house.
Edwin L. Jones purchased the property in 1903 and by 1906 he and his wife, Selena, were listed in the city directory at this location. He was an employee of Taylor Brothers Tobacco Company. The Jones family remained owner-occupants until selling the house to J. G. and Sarah Messick in 1942. Subsequently the property changed ownership numerous times until the present owners purchased it in 1972. (TR, CD, SM)