366. O’Hanlon-Joyce House (FY 966)
1101 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1910
The O’Hanlon-Joyce House is an elaborate two-story frame dwelling with Classical detailing but a form which retains the influence of late Victorian irregular massing. The richly detailed weatherboarded house features a slate hip roof with a matching dormer; front and side two-story bay windows; a wrap-around porch with Ionic columns, a turned balustrade, a full Classical entablature, and a balustraded deck above the center bay entrance; first and second story doorways with sidelights and transoms; and a second story corner recessed porch detailed to match the main porch.
By 1911 this location was occupied by E. H. O’Hanlon, a pharmacist who owned O’Hanlon’s Drugstore and was married to Nancy Critz, niece of R. J. Reynolds. The O’Hanlons occupied the house until 1926 when the property was sold to Charles T. Joyce, secretary-treasurer of the Wright-Hughes Tobacco Company. Charles and Mary Joyce occupied the house and retained ownership until 1958, (SH, CD, TR)
Garage, Contributing: Behind the house is a two-car brick garage with a tin-shingled pyramidal roof, which the Sanborn Maps suggest was built between 1912 and 1917.