152 West End Boulevard
Contributing, ca. 1906
Similar to the Jeffries House next door, the McKenzie House is a Queen Anne style dwelling with an asymmetrical configuration; shingled gables with simple bargeboards; a wrap-around porch with a spindle frieze, turned posts with fancy sawnwork brackets, and a turned balustrade; and a single bay second floor porch with the same detailing. A steep flight of balustraded steps leads to the porch and the double-leaf entrance. Although the two-story frame house was sided with asbestos shingles in mid-century, the original form and detailing remain largely intact.
Braxton V. McKenzie, an employee at R. J. Reynolds Tobacco, purchased the property in 1906, and presumably built the house soon thereafter. The McKenzie family occupied the house until at least 1965, and they retained ownership until 1973. (D, TR, CD, SH)
1917 Sanborn Map, page 86 at “136” West End