358. Wilder-Tudor House (FY 1800)
1104 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1910
The Wilder-Turner House is a two-story frame dwelling of simple eclectic design. It is characterized by a two-bay facade with a left front projecting bay, a truncated hip roof with a front cross gable, bungalow style sash windows, and a front porch with plain posts, curved brackets, and balustrade. Of particular interest is the way in which the porch roof is cantilevered beyond the NE end of the porch to form a simple porte-cochere. A similar feature is found at 1205 Clover Street, #322.
The house was first listed in the city directories in 1910, when it was the residence of Salem and Armelia Wilder. In 1918 George C. Tudor purchased the house (see #357), but he used it as rental property until 1939, when Bessie Tudor moved in. She occupied the house until the early 1950’s, but it remained in Tudor family ownership until 1963. (CD, TR, SH)