352. Crawford-Sullivan House (FY 1795)
1068 W. Fourth Street
Contributing, ca. 1906, ca. 1915
Sanborn Maps suggest that by 1912 a two-story frame house had been built on this site, but that by 1917 it had been remodeled to its present form. Typical of many substantial but simple houses built in the 1910’s which show a combination of Colonial Revival and Craftsman style influences, this is a weatherboarded frame dwelling with a hip roof, a hipped front dormer with battered sides, a three-bay facade with central entrance emphasized by sidelights and transom, and a one-story porch with Roman Doric columns set on brick plinths with a plain balustrade.
In 1906 Thomas B. and Annie Crawford purchased the property and the same year were listed in the city directory at this location. He was president and treasurer of the Crawford Plumbing and Hill Supply. The Crawfords occupied the house until ca. 1930, and thereafter it appears to have been rented until Ralph A. Sullivan acquired the property in 1943. The Sullivans lived here until ca. 1960, but owned the house until 1983, (SH, TR, CD)