340. Robert E. Follin House (FY 1783)
1232 Glade Street
Contributing, ca. 1913
This eclectic house reflects the combined influences of the Craftsman, Colonial Revival, and English cottage styles. It is a two-story weatherboarded frame dwelling with a steep gable roof with rolled eaves, a large shed wall dormer across the facade, groups of eight-over-one sash windows and bands of casement windows, a Colonial Revival entrance with a gabled hood with rolled eaves, and a front terrace instead of a covered porch. On the SW side of the house is a sun room with balustraded upper deck. The house is complemented by a stone retaining wall and stone steps shared by 800 West End Boulevard (11374)next door. A photograph of the house in the 1924 publication “Art Work of Piedmont Section of North Carolina” shows that it has changed little since then.
City directories suggest that Robert E. and Mary C. Follin were living at this location as early as 1913. Follin was secretary and treasurer of the Follin Company, a real estate and insurance firm. The Follins continued to occupy the house until J. B. and Ella McCreary purchased it in 1926. John McCreary was sheriff and tax collector of Forsyth Company From ca. 1945 to 1973 the house was owned and occupied by George W. and Helen Urquhart. (CD, SH, TR, AW)
Garage, Contributing: On the alley behind the house is a one-car weatherboarded garage with a gable roof and bracketed eaves which appears to be contemporary with the house.