322. Sihon Cicero Ogburn House (FY 954)
1205 Clover Street
Contributing, ca. 1914
The Ogburn House is an impressive Colonial Revival dwelling which shows some influence from the Craftsman style. The large two-story frame house has a weatherboarded first story, while the second story is sheathed in scalloped siding which appears to be an early use of asbestos. This siding appears in a 1924 photograph of the house and is also seen on the Thompson-Liipfert House (337) of the same period at 1220 Glade Street. Also unusual are the “clipped” front corners of the house. Other features of the exterior include a hipped roof and front dormer, both with widely overhanging eaves, nine-over-one sash windows, a broad front entrance with unusual etched glass sidelights and transom Within a Classical surround, and a front porch with heavy paneled posts, a plain balustrade, and a balustraded deck. On the southeast side of the house is a sun room whose roof is cantilevered to form a porte-cochere, another unusual feature.
The spacious interior has handsome Colonial Revival and Craftsman mantels, a Colonial Revival stair, some original lighting fixtures, and of particular significance, high wainscoting in the hall and dining room with well-preserved simulated leather embossed papers. S.C. Ogburn purchased the property in 1912 and by 1915 he and his wife, Emma K., were listed at this location in the city directory.
Ogburn was president of Home Real Estate Loan and Insurance Company The Ogburn’s owned and occupied the house until the 1940’s, after which it was converted to apartments until being restored as a single family dwelling in the early 1970’s. (TR, CD, OS, AW, SH)
Garage, Contributing: Behind the house is a one-car weatherboarded frame garage with a pyramidal roof which appears to have been built prior to 1930.