320. Brown-Stokes House (FY 956)
1109 Glade Street
Contributing, ca. 1915, 1927-1928
This large Colonial Revival house is a two-and-a-half-story weatherboarded frame dwelling with a steep gable roof with a Palladian window in the northwest gable end, three gabled dormers, nine-over-one sash windows, an entrance with leaded glass sidelights and transom, and a front porch and porte-cochere with paired Tuscan columns and a balustraded deck. The present appearance of the house dates from a 1927-1928 remodeling of the original ca. 1915 house. An early photograph shows that originally the house had a weatherboarded first story, a wood shingled second story, a truncated gable roof with a bracketed cornice and a central pedimented dormer, and a front porch with paneled posts and a plain balustrade.
Rev. Henry A. Brown, the pastor of First Baptist Church, purchased the property in 1913 and was listed with his wife, Julia, in the city directory at this location for the first time in 1916. By 1929 Brown was living in the house with his daughter, Eloise, and son-in-law, Henry S. Stokes, who by then owned the property. Stokes was an employee of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. The house remained in Stokes family ownership and occupancy until 1981. (TR, CD, SM, OS)