319. Walker-Skinner House (FY 1769)
1105 Glade Street
The Walker-Skinner House is a typical Colonial Revival dwelling of the 1910’s. The house is simple in form but has several decorative details. It is a two-story weatherboarded frame dwelling with a hip roof with widely overhanging boxed eaves, a slightly projecting right front bay, eighteen-over-one and twelve-over-one sash windows, a central entrance with fancy leaded and beveled glass sidelights and transom, and a handsome Classical front porch with fluted Doric columns on brick plinths and a plain balustrade.
James W. Walker, secretary-treasurer of Hedgecock Brick Company and president of Citizens Building and Loan Association, first listed the property for taxes in 1913, By 1915 he was listed at this location in the city directory. The Walker family owned the house until 1929, when they sold it to Marion Butler. Butler sold it the following year to Mrs. Berkley C. Skinner. By 1933 Bradley C. and Alma Skinner were listed at this address in the city directory. He was manager of the Export Leaf Tobacco Company. The Skinner family occupied the house at least through the mid 1950’s and sold it in 1969. (TR, CD, SM)