308. Blanton-Hauser House (FY 1760)
1405 Brookstown Avenue
Contributing, ca. 1910
This unusual bungalow is a one-and-a-half-story frame dwelling characterized primarily by its gable-in-front-of-gable roof with side shed wall dormers, all with rolled eaves. The engaged front porch has tapered wood posts on granite plinths and a plain blaustrade. The use of granite continues with the porch foundation, the front steps, and retaining wall at the sidewalk. The recent addition of aluminum siding has had little effect on the architectural integrity of the house.
The Sanborn Maps show that the house was built by 1912, but the first city directory listing was in 1916 for James O. and Mary Blanton. He was plant superintendent for the Virginia-Carolina Chemical Company In 1920 the house was purchased by H. Floyd Hauser, foreman at R. J, Reynolds Tobacco Company, and his wife, Nannie. The Hausers occupied the house until selling it in 1965 to the present owners, Dewey and Ellen Yarborough. (SH, CD, TR)
Garage, Noncontributing: Behind the house is a two-car weatherboarded frame garage probably built after 1930.